Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Havin' a Party with Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes

The original Jersey Boy.  Havin' a Party with Southside Johnny (1979) is his 5th record.  On Epic records - this one was also recently given to me by a pal.  (I love that - thank you all very much.  Your old records get a fine home, and get played, when they are added to my collection.)  This record has the words "Demonstration Not for Sale," stamped on the back cover and also on both sides of the record labels.  7 of the 10 songs on the record have either Bruce or Van Zandt or both listed as songwriter/s.  I get - they are Jersey boys.  I read that it was after Jon Bon Jovi got to see SSJ that he knew right then that he (Jon) wanted to be a rock and roller.  Sam Cooke's We're Havin' a Party is how this record got it's name.  I Don't Want to go Home, penned by Steven Van Zandt, was also played on FM radio back in the day.   SSJ does one of my all-time favorite songs (and he wrote it too), but it's not on this record.  It's called All I Want is Everything, with that great big line of horns adding that Jersey sound.  Click on the post title and there's a good clip of it.

1 comment:

  1. I saw SSJ at Comiskey Park in ca. 1979 as part of crazy collection of bands (others were The Tubes, Foghat, Rush, and somebody I can't remember). Apparently SSJ and some members of the crowd weren't seeing eye to eye since various one-fingered salutes were lifted. I thought SSJ was good fun.
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!