Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life.  Perfect for a cloudy Sunday - this is the inner cover.  I was a freshman in high school back in 1976 when this record came out.  And in a prescient way I might add - I knew it was going to remain an all-time classic album, even back then.  Hard to believe it is Stevie's 18th eighteenth studio album, on Motown's Tamla label.   From a loose series of five consecutive albums he made during an era that could be called his "classic period" - the others being Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions and Fulfillingness' First Finale.  In the Keith Richards autob. book I am reading, we learn Stevie and his great band was the Stones' opening act on their 1972 tour, nicknamed the Cocaine and Tequila Sunrise Tour or the STP, for Stones Touring Party.  KR tells us how Stevie would always stay in a Four Seasons hotel and that he memorized the common floor plans and walked around as if he could see.  In a somewhat rare format for the time, a 2-record studio album, [Exile on Main St. is one too], Songs in the Key of Life is his best album in my book - and is ranked number 56 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.  Knocks me Off my Feet is the song you will hear if you click on this post's title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!