Friday, May 6, 2011

Erroll Garner - on Columbia Records; Penthouse Serenade

Erroll Garner.  Penthouse Serenade.  One of the all-time greats.  I have a cherished cassette tape of a live recording I made of my dad playing Erroll Garner's beautiful Penthouse Serenade on the upright piano in the living room of the house I grew up in.  Besides my two keyboard-playing relatives, Garner is my "new" favorite piano player.  He attended the same high school as Billy Strayhorn, in Pittsburgh.  Like my dad, he was self-taught and played by ear.  On the back of this record cover, it reads: "Records Sound Best on Columbia  Phonographs.  For the best reproduction of your records, play them on a COLUMBIA phonograph.  Columbia, the greatest name in sound, is the originator of the modern "Lp" record and the "360" phonograph.  Your dealer can demonstrate a varied line of Columbia phonographs, styled to enhance the decorative scheme of your home.  See him today for the pleasure of your life."

2 comments:

  1. You may notice that he mumbles to himself while playing, and he was rather short and used to sit on a large Phone Book atop his piano bench.

    And, he composed the well known "Misty"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct-amundo Uncle Stale. You - one of my two piano-playing relatives - are/were referenced in the post. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!