Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Clash: London Calling

I am getting to meet lengary rock and roll photographer Paul Natkin for lunch today.  I will report on that soon.  So that is why I am posting this: The Clash - London Calling.  I vote that this is the best album cover from the '70's.  It is a 2-record album that I bought it for fifty cents at a record collectors show, but - as the seller warned me, it was missing one disk.  And, argh - it's the disk with Train in Vain on it.  According to wiki: this cover photo is of bassist Paul Simonon smashing his Fender P Bass (P is for Precision - I might add) on stage at The Palladium in New York City in September 1979 during their Take the Fifth tour.  Pennie Smith, who photographed the band for the album, originally did not want the photograph to be used. She thought that it was too out of focus, but Strummer and graphic designer Ray Lowry thought it would make a good album cover.  Smith's photograph was named the best rock and roll photograph of all time by Q magazine, commenting that "it captures the ultimate rock'n'roll moment - total loss of control".  The cover artwork was designed by Lowry and as an homage to the design of Elvis Presley's debut album – shown below in screen shot since I don’t own it.  The cover was named the ninth best album cover of all time by Q magazine in 2001.  The album cover for London Calling was among the ten chosen by the Royal Mail for a set of "Classic Album Cover" postage stamps issued in January 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!