Thursday, July 21, 2011

Frankie & the Knockouts: with Oscar Winner Frankie Previte

The song is Without You.  This band shocked me.  We all heard their songs, but I had no idea who they are/were.  Frankie & the Knockouts.  Really?  OK, I think they had a couple of hits.  Cartoon drawings on the frong and back covers?  Most bands in this ear would never have done that.  They would always go with actual photos of the band.  And since I don't know anything about them, I will let Mr. Wiki tell us.  "Franke and the Knockouts was a short lived, early 1980s band formed in New Jersey, and fronted by singer/songwriter Franke Previte. Originally there were five members in the band. Franke and the Knockouts were signed by Millennium Records in 1981 and had three U.S. Top 40 singles and two Top 50 albums. Franke and the Knockouts' biggest single, "Sweetheart," (video clip on title above) was written by Previte and Guitarist Billy Elworthy and became a Top 10 hit in 1981, peaking at #10 in the U.S.  They also wrote and released the original versions of Eric Carmen's 1987 hit single "Hungry Eyes" as well as the song "(I've Had) The Time of My Life," (both of which were featured in the 1987 film Dirty Dancing). Previte would later be an Academy Award winner.  His Academy Award was won for Best Achievement in Music; Best Song for 1987 for Dirty Dancing's "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" with co-composers John DeNicola and Donald Markowitz.  The band switched to MCA in 1984 and had several album releases but they disbanded in 1986. The group's other two Top 40 hits were "You're My Girl" and "Without You (Not Another Lonely Night)."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!