Monday, August 29, 2011

They Played at Woodstock: Country Joe and The Fish

With the month of August winding down, I wanted to get in this year's last Woodstock post becuase I know have a Country Joe and the Fish record.  And it is the answer to a Woodstock Pop quiz:  name the only artist to have performed twice, at two different sets, on two separate days at the Original Woodstock Festival?  Yes - Country Joe McDonald.  On Saturday, he (alone) followed Quill - as just Country Joe.  Then on Sunday, he was joined by his band The Fish as the 2nd act of the day, following right after Joe Cocker.  So in case you are wondering - here is who's left on my They Played at Woodstock but Don't Own any of their Records List:  Sweetwater, Bert Sommer, Ravis Shankar, Quill, the Keef Hartley Band, and The Incredible String Band.  I will be at a record collectors show in November and I will be on the lookout for any by those acts/bands  for sure.  Back to this record - called I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die is the second album by this influential San Fransisco-based psychedelic rock group.  From available sources: "Released in 1967, the title track remains one of the most popular Vietnam protest songs from the 1960s and originally appeared in a 1965 7" EP titled Rag Baby: Songs of Opposition.  On this album version however, "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag" appears alongside the infamous "Fish Cheer," which at concerts (Woodstock), became a Country Joe standard.  At Woodstock, Joe had the crowd yell F-*-*-K instead of F-I-S-H.  The title song faced a legal challenge from the estate of New Orleans jazz trombone pioneer Edward "Kid" Ory, whose daughter Babette claimed that McDonald appropriated the melody for his song from Ory's classic "Muskrat Ramble," as recorded by Louis Armstrong & his Hot Five in 1926. A 2005 judgment upheld McDonald's copyright on the song, claiming that Ory waited too long to make the claim."

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Madison
    maddie0147@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, hope you can track down a Bert Sommer album. He's really good. After being frustrated at never finding any of his records at my usual haunts, I finally broke down and ordered a new copy of "The Road to Travel" on CD several months ago. I'm glad I did. It's one of my favorite albums I've picked up in the past year. He really should have gotten to be much better known! I didn't know him until I saw a video on YouTube of his great performance of "Jennifer" at Woodstock.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!