Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Brass Construction - they got up, in order to get on down


Brass Construction - their 2nd and 3rd albums.   I just can't figure out why I dig this group so much.  They are a bit like EWF with their bright, hornsy sound, but sadly with songs that are/were less catchy.  I made one mistake recently when I took many of my duplicate and "common" records to a huge, local vinyl record convention and sold them.  My copy of Brass Construction's eponymous debut album was surely in one of those 14 crates.  Oh well - I will probably find it again somewhere soon and then buy it back to fifty cents.  But what are Brass Construction?  First off, brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, in which the proportions of zinc and copper can be varied to create a range of brasses with varying properties.  But the band was signed in 1975 by Sid Maurer, and former Epic Records promotion man Fred Frank, they scored two US Billboard Hot 100 entries in 1976 - the most successful being "Movin'," which hit #14.  BC had success on the US Hot Dance Club Play chart, with nine chart entries, including "Movin'," which one BC'er later had as a number of R&B hits when he joined Skyy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!