Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Marshall Tucker Band

One of my all-time favorite bands, even outside of my favorite genre: Southern Rock, the Tucker Boys were cookin' down in Caroline. I’ve seen them 4 or 5 times and was lucky to see them while founding member and lead guitarist Toy Caldwell (1947–1993) was still alive. That was on the main stage at BerwynFest (IL), summer of 1992, for my bachelor’s party with my pals. From Spartanburg, SC, they played classic songs like Can’t You See and 24 Hours at a Time live as precursors of what would later be called a jam band. Live, those songs often approached the 15 minute mark. This record, A New Life, contains my favorite songs: Blue Ridge Mountain Sky, You Ain't Foolin' Me, and 24 Hours at a Time. If you love this band, try their live CD (not on vinyl) called Stompin’ Room Only (released in 2003 - but the recordings are from European concerts recorded from 1974 to 1976. Touring today with only Doug Gray as the lone original founding member. They first recorded on one of my favorite labels - Capricorn Records.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!