Wednesday, May 19, 2010

UK: Where They a Super Group? I'd say "Yes"

UK was, in a way, sort of a precursor to Asia.  As Asia was assembled from parts of Yes, King Crimson, Roxy Music, and ELP.  So to answer the posted question - I do think UK is/was a super group, for a short time.  From the '70's, singer and bassist John Wetton and drummer Bill Bruford were in King Crimson.  Keyboardist Rick Wakeman knew Bill Bruford from Yes.  [Bruford played on the classic double-live live Genesis album (to be posted later this summer), Seconds Out.]  The story goes, Bruford and Wetton each invited a musician.  Wetton brought in keyboardist/violinist Eddie Jobson, (think Roxy Music) and Bruford invited Allan Holdsworth (Soft Machine). And voila - a super-type group was borne.  With featrued violin and synth - this record has a vide that is a cross between Yes and Jean Luc Ponty.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I just got this and another of UK's albums this past weekend... Are you Big Brother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa there, Shawn. We are in some parallel universe I think, but that's cool.

    Hey - wanna right a Guest Post? Name a band and or record and I will give you the floor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. INDEED I WILL! I already have one in mind!
    Toy Matinee! The late Kevin Gilbert and Pat Leonard. Possibly THE most underrated and certainly THE most forgotten album of the '90s. WARNING! I can and probably WILl go on and on about this record!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!