Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Ask and You Shall Receive - Wake Up Everybody


Wake Up Everybody - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes.  What luck - I was noodling around Half Priced Books over the weekend and found this in the fifty cent bin.  C'mon.  In many ways I feel bad that such a significant record is being sold for such a pittance.   I forget who - but I read recently that some rock great said that the title track on this album (by Carstarphen, MccFadden, and Whitehead) is his all-time favorite.  Me - I try to play Don't Leave Me This Way (Gamble, Huff & Gilbert) as much as possible at parties.  Guests think it's going to be the Thelma Houston version and it surprises them.  If you can possibly manage the time - click on the title post to listen to a clip.  Please - if you love music - you have to love this song.  I read recently that Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone tops Rolling Stone magazine's list of the top 500 rock songs of all time.  I'm cool with that.  I do have one Dylan record - not sure which one.  TSOP gets a credit - "music by MFSB."  I love the Philadelphia soul sound.  To my ear - the tight and clean precursors of Edwards, Rodgers, and Thompson sound of Chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!