Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Edgar Winter Group

The Edgar Winter Group.  You have heard the song many times on FM AOR stations.  It is called Frankenstein.  It is an iconic instrumental. The EWG is Dan Hartman, Ronnie Montrose (whom I just read about in Sammy Hagar's new book), and Chuck Ruff.  This record was produced by Rick Derringer.  In 1972, with that lineup above, EW came out with this record called They Only Come Out at Night.  The album contains the instrumental hit Frankenstein,  which, in video clips I've seen, shows Edgar playing a synthesizer strapped over his neck like a guitar.  Edgar's brother is Johnny Winter - who I saw play last summer at Eric Claption tri-annual outdoor dust-up called The Crossroads Guitar Festival.  And you will remember Frankenstein, because it got to number one in the U.S. in May 1973.

1 comment:

  1. I never saw Edgar Winter, but I did see Johnny Winter at a club in Ann Arbor, MI. The show didn't start til after midnight. While waiting for the start, I started to doze off and slowly lurched forward until my face softly settled into the back of some guy's frizzy hair! I can still feel that nest in my face to this day!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!