Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pete Townshend: Empty Glass

In the summer of 1980 - my pal Greg bought this album and we played it nonstop.  I would place this record in a loose category of other albums as "Main Guys in Top Bands Who Released a Great Solo Record While Still in the Band, That Did Not Break Up."  This one is up at the top of that list, and also on any list of great albums.  Phil Collins did Face Value.  And I do very much like Mick's She's the Boss that he made with his pals from Chic, of which Keith highly disapproved.  Bruce does these too.  But Empty Glass could be the best of all of those - or any others.  This is the back cover photo.  Pete, with a halo - how ironic, and if you squint, the silhouettes of the washed out images of the ladies on his arms appear as the wings of the himself as an angel.  On the ATCO label, go back and sample the gem song on this record And I Moved, with those gorgeous crescendo-ing piano scales by Rabbit Bundrick that escalate to infinity and hear how awesome this record is.  As for the album title, Pete uses theses little shapes or avatars that depict various types of wine, beer, or mixed drink glasses on the liner notes as some type of code or song indicator.  The shapes were created by Meher Baba.  I have to guess that's the guy in Baba O'Reilly.  I love Pete's solo work with Slit Skirts as one of my all-time favorite songs - ever.  I also get choked up over his arrangement of Real Good Looking Boy.  And - an album I may have posted before here, Rough Mix with Denny Lane - is great.  And if you dig a bit on youtube - find the extended version of Gonna Get Ya - at 8 or 9 minutes.  That is my favorite song this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!