Thursday, August 4, 2011

and on piano...Nicky Hopkins...It's only rock 'n roll (Woodstock too!)

Nicky Hopkins...played at Woodstock.  He sat in with Jefferson Airplane.  And, leave it to the Stones to have pictures not of themselves, but of the five, crack sidemen that play on this album shown in photos.  They are founding and former Stone Ian "Stu" Stewart, record Producer Andy Johns, Keith Harwood, Billy Preston, and Nicky Hopins.  Hopkins plays piano on tracks 4,5,6,8 and 10.  With Time Waits for No One being my favorite in that batch.  But Billy Preston gets the piano seat on the greats: If you can't rock me, and Ain't to proud to beg.  I just read that on Let it Bleed, Nicky gives us that great and subtle intro to Monkey Man.  Snap - I don't have that album!  But I dug this record out based on a very good pal of mine raving recently about the new book out called, And on Piano...Nicky Hopkins.  I have started the book and it is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!