Thursday, August 4, 2011

Todd Rundgren: Something / Anything? Hello, It's Him


Todd Rundgren: Something/Anything?  My pal Dan is a huge Rundgren fan - so I thought I should get a Todd album up here ASAP.  So Dan - please use the Comment feature to let us know what you think of this album and or Todd himself. To me - Todd Rundgren's Caravan from Utopia will always be associated with 403 Broadway, a house where I lived with 11 pals in college my junior year.  That song was playing when Normal's brand new police chief walked in to "look around."  But this record is  Something/Anything?, it was released in 1972, it is his third solo album.  It peaked at #29 on the Billboard 200 list and later was certified gold three years later.  I guess it has some decent staying power - as it remains today his best-selling album.  And I read that in 2003, it was ranked number 173 in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest rock albums of all time.  OK, I'm down with that.  The song on side 4 you know is Hello, It's Me.  Todd assembles a monster list of artists to play on this record.  Some names I recognize are: the Brecker brothers, Rick Derringer, and whaaa - Edward James Olmos?   Yes, the American actor and director who's been in Miami Vice, Battlestar Galactica, Stand and Deliver, and Blade Runner.  Nice!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely wore this album down to the nub!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!