Friday, September 2, 2011

Charlie - with Steve Gadd's Doppelgänger drumming twin


Charlie.  Was It InevitableCharlie was a British rock band that was formed in 1971 by singer and songwriter Terry Thomas. The group was most active as a recording unit from the mid-1970s through 1986. Charlie never charted in their home country, but had four minor hits in the US - most well known was 1983's "It's Inevitable."  At first - I had thought I made a cool discovery - that the great drummer Steve Gadd was in this band.  He is one of my all-time top drummers.  I love his work on Steely Dan's Aja album, especially on that record's title track.  But back to this UK band Charlie.  I was reading up on them on wiki and discovered much to my dismay that the Steve Gadd who plays drums is this band Charlie is NOT that other Steve Gadd.  What?! Really?  The drummer Steve Gadd in Charlie is NOT the American session drummer of the same name.  OK, I will take their word for it, but that has got to be one of the oddest and most confusing musical same-names discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!