Saturday, September 3, 2011

John Cougar Mellencamp - Small Town

This is an odd record.  It's a 4-song EP.  An EP is the size of a full LP, but with only one or 2 songs on each side.  Not sure why I bought it.  I should have bought the full Scarecrow album.  But I will surely find that in some fifty cent bin somewhere soon.  He does an acoustic version of Small Town on it.  I run hot and cold with Mr. Indiana, JCM.  I think Pink Houses is a masterpiece.  Then, I hear Paper and Fire and cringe.  Then I hear Check it Out and think that's his best work, until I hear PH again.  I like his lighter and brighter stuff in the majors.  When he goes for "losing the farm" minor chord structure, that bums me out - but that's the intent.  I love the live version of PH that accompanies this post.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in grad school in the 80's, I went down to Dunn Meadow to hear a local band. There on a small bridge over a creek was John Mellencamp checking out the band. Nobody was bothering him and he was alone. This was after big records such as "Scarecrow"!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!