Thursday, September 8, 2011

This South's Greatest Hits - high school swim team music

Great albums covers!  I don't really have "southern roots," unless you count my fun cousins in Athens, GA and the many Civil War battlefields I've been to.  But this is one is more personal than others.  Most entries are easy to write.  As the great sports columnist Jim Murray once replied when asked.  "It's easy, you just open up a vein."  No, the South's Greatest Hits cannot be condensed into 2 records/4 album sides.  These late '70's records are how I came across the Capricorn label, and these great acts.  In 1979, my high school swim team coach, besides all the laps we did, he had dry land workouts for us to do at various stations on the desk.  Knowing I was in the A-V Club and a music guy, he told me to make a cassette tape of song segments, with 45 seconds of music, separated by 15 seconds of real time delay of no music.  The workouts were during the 45 sec. of music, and you rotated to the next station during the delay.  Source songs for that cassette (wish I saved it) were South's Greatest Hits - vols. I and II.  They guys on the swim were not all that into music, but they did not complain.  So, we'd hear songs in short bursts: The Allman Brothers, the CDB, Elvin Bishop, the Amazing Rhythm Aces, The Atlanta Rhythm Section, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Outlaws, Wet Willie, Dr. John, Sea Level, and Stillwater.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, great album cover! I've totally missed this one, I never knew it existed even though the late 70's was a time I poured over records at used and new record stores in University City, MO just about every danged Friday afternoon!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!