Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Led Zeppelin One - Australopithecus


And I called myself a vinyl record collector before today, when I bought this record?  This is the Mayflower and Plymouth Rock of rock records.  The Model T, Abe Lincoln, Apollo 11, it is L'Anse aux Meadows.  It is the Rosetta Stone.  It's fittingly on Atlantic of course, Produced by Jimmy Page.  Director of Engineering Glyn Johns. Executive producer Peter Grant.  Back liner photo Chris Dreja.  Recorded at Olympic Studios, London.  When I saw Jason Bonham in his tribute concert he introduces Your Time is Gonna Come as the portion of the show when he tries hardest to not cry.   "TABLA DRUMS on Black Mountain Side Viram Jasani."  Speaking of BMS, "Black Mountain Side" was inspired by a traditional Irish folk song called "Down by Blackwaterside". The guitar arrangement closely follows Bert Jansch's version of that song, recorded on his 1966 album Jack Orion.  This arrangement was learnt by Al Stewart, who followed Jansch's gigs closely, and who, in turn, taught it to Jimmy Page, who was a session musician for Stewart's debut album."  You Shook Me has a credit to Willie Dixon, as is I Can't Quit You Baby.  This completes my set of the Zeppelin's entire set of the known 8 studio albums: I-IV, Houses of the Holy, Graffiti, Presense, and In Through the Out Door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!