Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Laura Nyro - 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee


Laura Nyro - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee, class of 2012.   I really should know more about her - but I don't.  Laura Nyro (1947 - 1997) was an American songwriter, singer, and pianist.  She achieved critical acclaim with her own recordings, particularly the albums Eli and the Thirteenth Confession and this one that I own shown above - New York Tendaberry, and she had commercial success with artists such as Barbra Streisand and The 5th Dimension recording her songs.  Her style was a hybrid of Brill Building-style New York pop, jazzgospel, rhythm and blues, show tunes, rock and soul.  Between 1968 and 1970, a number of artists had hits with her songs: The 5th Dimension with "Blowing Away", "Wedding Bell Blues", "Stoned Soul Picnic", "Sweet Blindness", "Save The Country" and "Black Patch";  BS&T and Peter Paul & Mary - "And When I Die," and Three Dog Night and Maynard Ferguson with the classic Eli's Coming.

For an updated version of 3DN, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znaYWPIM72A

And Streisand's take on "Stoney End", "Time and Love", and "Hands off the Man (Flim Flam Man)."  Nyro's best-selling single was her recording of Carole King and Gerry Goffin's "Up on the Roof."

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about her. Thanks for the info. And checking out 3DN video I also watched a performance of "Shambala". Most everyone else might think that song is goofy, but it's one of my all-time favs!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie's HusbandMay 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM

    One of my old favorite albums. There are some stupendous writing-talented people out there who never receive their due...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up loving those hit radio covers, but I've recently heard Laura's original versions, and I was amazed to discover they are a thousand times better! It's a real shame the powers that be on the radio never gave her awesome originals a chance. The covers are nice, but Laura put so much more Heart and soul into those songs, you can tell they belong to HER.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!