Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Bruce Springsteen - summertime Greetings from Asbury Park N.J.


A summertime postcard from Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park N.J.   This is what I call an important and significant record cover.   It's ideal for the format.  It's memorable, has meaning and relevance, and it creative.  I am certainly not the hugest Bruce fan out there.  Don't get me wrong - I do like many of his songs and some of his albums, but I just happen to be more of a Seger guy.  I find that that is common: Bob or Bruce.  But not Bob AND Bruce.   Although I did not take a photo of it so it would be visible - the post card portion of the album cover unfolds and on the back side of it - it is an actual post card.  From 1973, this of course is his debut album and it surely foretold greatness.  And it received mostly excellent reviews when it came out.  Here is something unique I found out about this record: Harold Wheeler – known at the moment mainly as the ochestra conductor and muscial director on Dancing with the Stars - played piano on the song, "Blinded By the Light."  That was of course made more famous by the cover version by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.  On November 22, 2009, Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ was played in its entirety for the first time by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, at the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, New York, to celebrate the last show of their Working on a Dream tour.  This marked the E Street Band's first-ever performance of "The Angel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!