Monday, May 30, 2011

More Funk, as in Grand RR

This old band just continues to flat out fascinate me. I am a tad too young to have been really into them in thier heyday. From 1969 - I just cannot begin to describe in how great of shape this record and record cover are in. No dog ears, no water damage, crisp edges. This is called Grand Funk - their second studio album, and it was released in December 1969 on Capitol Records. It was produced by Terry Knight and engineered by Ken Hamann. This release (often referred to at "The Red Album") was certified by RIAA with a gold record award, the first for the group. It includes a cover of The Animals "Inside Looking Out" which is still - or was - a cornerstone of the band's live concerts today. Other key tracks include: "Got This Thing On The Move", "In Need", and "Paranoid" (not to be confused with the Black Sabbath song of the same name).

2 comments:

  1. Can Homer Simpson be wrong? If you don't know of which I speak - look it up on Google.
    Much of my youth and adulthood has been spent listening to Mark, Don & Mel. I actually got Mark Farner to autograph this album cover when I saw him at the Blue Moon in Elgin in 1987. Of all the bands (GFR, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, etc.) that I played to death when I was growing up, I think GFR drove my mother crazy the most. They weren't the heaviest of those acts, but I think it was Mel Schacher's bass. I'm playing this album as I am writing this. This makes the 14th time I've played this album since Feb.19, 2005. How do I know this? I keep a spreadsheet of albums that I play. I started documenting it on that day because, as my wife and I were on a plane flying home to Chicago from London, I grabbed my iPod trying to figure out what to listen to. I chose the 1st Black Sabbath album and in doing so I asked myself, "How many times have I played this album in my life?" At that point I was 49 years old and I knew it had to be hundreds of times. I wished I knew the exact number so I decided I would keep track from that moment on. BAck to GFR. I wish they would kiss and makeup and go out for one last tour, but I don't see that happening. Thanks for the memories guys....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!